Generating electricity quietly really can make the difference between a secure night’s sleep and the neighbors calling in a complaint on you.
We have read a ton of quiet portable generator reviews from real people who have purchased them already. As experts, we’ve gathered information on the best quiet portable generators out there, and we’ve learned everything about them from load capacity, fuel efficiency, and ease of startup.
Having one of those ten quiet portable generators is important to safely have reduced noise with the security of big power. The mediocre generator is too loud to use and doesn’t produce enough watts for your needs.
We want your decision to be as easy as possible so we’ve also included our top choice WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt.
Best Quiet Portable Generator Reviews
- WEN 56200i Super Quiet
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle and one 5V USB port
- Demension: 18 x 11 x 18 inches
- Yamaha EF2000iSv2
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7 amps @ 120V
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA at 1/4 load
- Dimensions: 19.3 x 11.0 x 17.9 inches
- Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts at Less Than 3% THD - Weighs Only 43 Lbs. - Gas Powered - Two 120V 20 Amp Outlets
- 52 dB Noise Output and Up to 13 Hours of Run Time on a 1.3 Gallon Gas Tank
- Dimensions: 20.3 x 12.5 x 17.8 inches
- 1 Best Quiet Portable Generator Reviews
- 1.1 WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- 1.2 Yamaha EF2000iSv2
- 1.3 Westinghouse WH2200iXLT
- 1.4 Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel
- 1.5 Westinghouse iGen2200
- 1.6 Generac 6866 iQ2000
- 1.7 Pulsar 2,000W Portable Gas-Powered
- 1.8 Generac 7117 GP2200i
- 1.9 Honda 7000W Super Quiet
- 1.10 Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt
- 2 Tips on Choosing the Best Quiet Portable Generator
- 3 Factors To Consider When Buying a Quiet Portable Generator
- 4 Quiet Portable Generator FAQ
- 5 Making The Decision
This lightweight quiet portable generator comes with a couple of 120V receptacles as well as a 5V USB port and a 12V DC receptacle.
There are different watt options for this generator including 2000 Watts with 1600 running, 2000 Watts with 1700 running, 1250 Watts with 1000 running, 2250 Watts with fuel shutoff, and 3100 Watts with RV plug.
Customers who have bought this generator are saying this is a well-performing generator. They appreciate that it works so great for camping trips and regular RV use.
In cases of emergency, customers have reported getting 6-8 hours of usage out of this generator while running a combination of appliances. A handful of customers reported purchasing used versions of this product and receiving damaged or leaking units.
Overall this generator seems to be one of the top quiet portable generators for home use. If you frequently camp or travel and you need a trustworthy generator, this is a solid purchase. It is also great for emergencies including storms and other power outages.
This quiet portable generator comes in two color options such as blue and camouflage. The smart throttle will adjust your engine speed according to load, reducing noise and fuel usage.
Customers who have purchased this generator appreciate that it’s simple to use and travel with. It also has a fuel gauge which customers find very helpful. It’s one of the best super quiet portable generators to take camping. Lastly, customers are enjoying the fuel efficiency of this product.
This unit is one of the best quiet running portable generators on the market. It is easy to carry, simple to set up and will not disturb your neighbors. It is fuel efficient and has a fuel indicator to let you know when your levels are getting low.
Most customers who have owned this generator also use it for emergency power needs. Purchase yours today and have a reliable generator that’s ready to use whenever you might need it.
This small generator packs a lot of power. It is perfect to use when you have a temporary outage and it has the ability to power up all of your main essentials in the home. It is quiet and will not disturb the neighbors.
It is also fuel efficient and can run for several hours at a time. Runs parallel with either an identical or compatible generator including the iGen1200, iGen2200m, and iGen2500.
Customers who have purchased this generator are happy with its abilities to power appliances. They also love that it so quiet. It’s a perfect unit to take camping, and it looks really nice. Overall they feel it is a quality generator for the price.
This product is providing quite a deal for the amount you’ll spend. You can move around a lot with it because it’s easy to travel with. The lightweight, reliability, and quiet nature of this products makes it the best quiet small generator for tailgating.
This generator holds .6 quarts of oil. It also has a low oil shut-off sensor. It has a quick touch panel conveniently located on the outside which gives you access to all controls at one time.
At 23 feet the noise level is 59 dBA. It’s a very quiet unit that will work well for tailgating, camping, a project, or as backup power for the home.
Customers who own this generator say it’s a great camping generator. It’s small size makes it great for traveling. The also like the generator is full of power and works well as a backup power source for the home.
Lastly, they find the dual fuel option convenient as some people need the propane to run other appliances, it’s nice to be able to use the propane for everything.
A handful of customers have reported receiving a defective unit that either arrived broken, leaked gas or wouldn’t start up with gas after a while.
According to the quietest portable generators reviews, this machine makes the majority of its owners completely happy. It’s quiet, easy to start, and is very strong. If you plan on camping, this is probably one of the best quiet portable generators you can purchase.
This small quiet portable generator has a camouflage finish and works well as an emergency backup for your home. It is quiet, with a 52 dB noise output.
It has a fuel efficiency mode that helps boost fuel efficiency capabilities. Customers must get a generator brand parallel cord in order to boost available wattage with parallel generators.
Customers are reporting that this generator is easy to start and is very quiet. Overall they are happy with its performance. It has been helpful over weeks of use at a time.
One customer has even reported receiving 10 hours of use with a single gallon of gas. Works well for a small RV.
This generator works very well. It is super easy to get started, and takes very little effort to fill with oil. It is convenient for travel and works well when combined with other generators for a power boost.
This is one of the top very quiet portable generators. It is a smart device that keeps up with the amount of energy used. It offers three modes include standard, economy, and turbo.
Customers can get a power boost when needed by using the parallel kit model 6877 (sold separately).
Customers who are using this generator are saying that it is one of the best generators they’ve ever used. It is great for running various appliances during an outage. It can run for days at a time in the event of a natural disaster.
It is lightweight and very quiet. A handful of customers reported generators leaking fuel when first purchased.
The majority of customers who have purchased this generator have provided good feedback. It seems to be a good generator for traveling or for long term power outages. It is light enough for a single person to carry and it’s powerful enough to handle several appliances.
This inverter style generator comes in 4 choices. In white, you can get sizes 2000w, 2,300w, and 4,000w. In gray, there is a single option of 2,000w. All sizes are compact, great on gas, and provide clean energy to your tools, appliances, and electronics.
Customers who have purchased this product find it reliable and easy to transport. It is also very quiet and simple to crank. Works well for long-time use during a power outage from a storm.
Customers also say that the generator goes far on a single gallon of gas. At least one customer has successfully used this generator while bow-fishing.
A small number of customers reported receiving a leaking, damaged, or a generator that wouldn’t start after a few uses.
This generator is extremely quiet and fuel efficient. Works well on mini trips as well as during emergency situations. It is very easy to take along for the ride and you will be quite happy with the energy results you receive.
This the best quiet portable generator is easy to use, compact, and quiet. It provides clean energy for your appliances, tools, and small electronics. It has indicator lights to warn you of low-oil, power level, and overload.
You can carry this model easy with its built-in handle, and there is a startup knob to get things going pretty quickly.
Customers who have bought this generator appreciate that it comes with oil and a funnel for applying the oil to the motor. It works very well with power outages after bad storms. It is pretty simple to carry, and very quiet.
A few customers seemed to have purchased defective units.
Overall there aren’t many cons about this generator. It runs smooth, can be carried by a single person, it’s fuel efficient, and it’s easy to get started and maintain.
This seems to be a generator you can keep in your garage with confidence whenever the next power outage occurs.
This lovely 7000W generator uses electricity and gas and is built for camping RVs. It weighs 260 lbs and provides lots of power.
Customers who own this generator are very happy that it is easy to use after setup. They report that it is a reliable generator and they appreciate that it has a backup pull start in the event that the battery is low on power.
It’s great for camping with daily gas fill-ups. It can run all of your RV appliances very quietly.
If you need a heavy duty generator to take on your lengthy camping trips this is a great choice. It will not disturb the neighbors on your camping trip. It is extremely quiet and will run all of your appliances with no problem.
You can use it each day with a single fill up because you will get lots of usage per tank.
Use this popular model generator to run the most important things in your home, office, or at camp. You don’t have to worry about disturbing the neighbors because this is the quietest portable generator you could buy.
A single fill up can provide overnight power or handle long-time usage. This small generator is packed with enough reliable power that you’ll feel like you’re using your typical everyday energy source.
Customers who own this generator are quite pleased. They love that it’s easy to start and that it runs quietly. The majority of them feel it’s a good quality product for the price. It is reliable, durable and powerful.
Whenever there is a storm coming or you’re faced with a temporary power outage, this generator is one that you can depend on. One full tank will get you through the night, powering the majority of your appliances at a time.
This is one of the best rated portable generators for home use.
Tips on Choosing the Best Quiet Portable Generator
As great and handy as generators are, one of the main complaints you will hear about them is the noise factor. The loud hum can be a disturbance to neighbors anywhere, especially out in the wilderness.
You can’t hear yourself think, nor can you hear your very own conversations with your friends and family. In addition to noise being annoying, studies have reported that constant exposure to noise boosts your risk of heart attack, ruins concentration, and makes it impossible to get good quality sleep.
No one wants to be responsible for ruining the lives and vacations of themselves and others with a noisy generator. Here are some tips to make the best choice for you:
- Buy New: If and when you can get your generator, buy a new one. While you were reading the customers above you probably noticed that some customers reported receiving broken or leaking units. These were in most cases used units. In order to guarantee that your generator is shipped dry and has fully working components, it’s best to purchase one that has never been used before.
- Power Matters: The amount of power the generator offers lets you know how many of your appliances can be on at the same time. Heat and air conditioners usually take up about 1,000 watts or more, so you might want to be strategic on when you warm up or cool down your areas.
- Inverters are preferred: Portable generators typically provide a broad range of watts. The best portable generator will be the inverter generators since they are much quieter. They are also a little safer because they release fewer emissions, but they are still not ok to run inside the home.
- Count the outlets: Having several outlets helps you get the most out of your generator by spreading the load across many devices.
- Watch the dBA level: Your aim should be less than 65. There might be a slight purr, but you do want to check the specs on the package before purchase because some customers have bought a quiet generator and complained of hearing noise.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Quiet Portable Generator
Buying a generator is not a small purchase, especially when you need it to be heavy duty and quiet. Trying to fight for a proper noise level can be tough, and the only way to truly hear what it sounds like is either at the store or if you find a video review online.
Noise is very important, but it’s not the only thing that should weigh in on your final decision. Here are the majority of the factors you should consider before you make your purchase:
- Weight: Are you able to lift heavy machinery? Do you have someone around all the time who can help you when you need to lift a heavy generator? If your answer is no, then you will need to shop for a lightweight generator. Think about lifting it onto your RV or taking it off of a shelf in the garage. Pay close attention to the pounds listed on each product so you can know you’re ordering something you will be able to carry on your own.
- Power: Think about all the home essentials you will need to power up. You can consider your needs for a tailgate party, planned trip or in the event of an emergency. Which appliances will you need to run at the same time? When you consider these things you will realize that load level you need your new generator to be able to carry. This information will help you narrow down the generators by watts. Larger appliances such as air conditioners and heaters will most likely take up the bulk of your watts.
- Fuel: The best generator should be fuel efficient. It takes a lot of power and gas to run appliances, so you’ll want to look for the unit that specifically states how long your unit can run per load amount. The most fuel-efficient generators will allow you to take on a hefty load for several hours. Some people have been able to run their generators throughout the day with daily fill-ups. Another key thing about fuel is knowing what type of fuel you prefer. Some generators can take gasoline and propane. Those options might be convenient for you if you are using a certain fuel to run your appliances. You might be able to get away with just using one of the options for all of your belongings.
- Noise: Are you familiar with the dBA you need for your ears to be at peace while running the equipment? Aim for less than 65 if possible. You will want the quietest portable generator on the market. If you’re buying online you can check out customer reviews to see if there were any noise complaints about the unit you intend to purchase. One thing generator owners and their neighbors appreciate is a quiet generator.
- Setup, Usage, & Maintenance: Make sure you see what is required for assembly. Some generators can be complicated to setup including battery installation and oil filling. You will need to consider how tough it will be to get to the access panel and if anything has to be removed so you can change the oil. Also consider how tough it is to start the generator, and whether there are indicators letting you know that the generator needs attention, fuel, or oil.
Quiet Portable Generator FAQ
What do the specs mean for running watts and starting watts?
A. Your running watts are how much power the generator is creating on a continuous basis while it’s on. The starting watts are short bursts of power the generator produces for temporary periods. These periods are only a few seconds and they are generally used when starting up an appliance.
Can a portable generator power my home?
A. Powering a home is only recommended with a transfer switch to avoid damage. A professional electrician can install one for you. It will keep you from getting electrocuted and also prevent damaging your equipment.
Is it safe to run my generator non-stop?
A. Yes, as long as you keep up with the maintenance of the unit. Be sure to turn the unit off to provide any maintenance tasks such as adding gas to the generator. You don’t want the generator to run out of fuel while it’s being used. This could cause damage to the appliance or the generator.
What happens if the generator is overloaded?
A. In most cases, the circuit breaker will trip to keep the engine and any connected equipment safe from being damaged. The breakers usually take up to 10 seconds to cool before they can be reset.
Can I just operate the generator at a low load all the time?
A. Running the generator on less than a quarter load for long periods can end in reducing the generator’s overall performance. You should aim to pull a full load occasionally to keep the generator fully functioning and lasting longer.
Making The Decision
You have to admit that now you know far more than you did before you started your search. You’re equipped with information that will help you make the best decision regarding your temporary, travel or emergency generator needs.
Overall, you know that you need a power generator that you can move around, start, and maintain really easily that won’t make much noise.
Keep in mind that quieter generators will cost a little more, but it’s worth it to purchase something that you can use and that will make you happy. If you buy a budget item, each time you use it you will wish you spent the additional money.
You want the maximum level output with good clean power that can run your devices and appliances without causing any damage.
At first, your needs might have seemed like a tall order, but now that you know your specific needs exist, you can narrow the generators down to what’s most important. Think about what you need power for and for how long.
Check out the quiet portable generator reviews and see which models exceed customer expectations. Remember, you can save power and fuel by being strategic about when you run certain appliances on your generator and for how long.
Now make the best generator choice for you and your family and purchase one of the best quiet portable generators the market has to offer!